More Republicon Power Grabbing for the Plutocrats. If you thought the budget dispair bill which stripped $1B from K-12 education (While increasing the transfer to the road builder lobby by $5B) was bad, IT ONLY GETS WORSE! In summary, SB 22:
- Creates a 9-person authorizing board for charter schools: 4 appointed by the Gubner, 3 by the senate majority leader and 3 by the speaker of the assembly (who know, Wanker and the Fitzfuckheads). This limits legislative oversight and hands decision making power over to Wanker's cronies.
- Changes the law limiting organizations to opening only one charter school, allowing for profit Charter Management Organizations (CMOs) to enter Wisconsin, leading franchized schools.
- Removes the requirement for teachers at charter schools to have achieved certification.
- Lifts cap on and promotes virtual (online) schools.
By the way, there is NO EVIDENCE that charter schools do a better job at educating young people. So what are the ramifications if this bill is passed?
- Public tax dollars will be siphoned to the clutches of private hands and away from local communities.
- Traditional public schools become further strapped for funds.
- The power of locally elected school boards will be decreased.
- Segregation of the school age population will increase.
- "Difficult" students will be pushed out of charter schools and into under-resourced public schools.
- Increased reliance on teaching to the test.
- Low educator compensation and moral.
- High educator turnover.
- Destruction of the one institution that pulls many communities together.